Dress up convenient refrigerated cookie dough to create these sweet summery treats. The orange and lemon cookies taste like the sunny citrus slices they resemble. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- Orange and yellow paste food coloring
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 cup vanilla frosting
- Orange and yellow colored sugar
- Divide cookie dough in half. Place one half in a small bowl. Add the orange zest, orange extract and orange food coloring and mix well. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon extract and yellow food coloring to the remaining dough and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Coat the bottom of a glass with cooking spray, then dip in granulated sugar.
- Flatten dough balls, redipping glass in sugar as needed. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a small plastic bag; add frosting. Pipe circle of frosting on cookie tops; dip in colored sugar. Pipe lines of frosting for citrus sections.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 243 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Citrus Cookies in Quick Cooking July/August 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.