Citrus Chicken Kabobs
"I've been experimenting with lighter evening meals so we don't eat heavy right before bedtime," shares Suzi Sisson of San Diego, California. "My family loves how fresh and light these appealing glazed kabobs taste."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, broken into florets
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add broccoli. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- Cut each orange into eight wedges. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken, vegetables and oranges. In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill kabobs, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 10-14 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning and basting frequently with glaze.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 278 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Citrus Chicken Kabobs in Light & Tasty April/May 2003