- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forCinnamon-Walnut Coffee Cake
"I made this cake and changed a couple of things. I used butter instead of shortening and added 1tsp of cinnamon & 1/2tsp extra vanilla to batter. Becauce my son doesn't like nuts I used old-fashioned rolled oats. I doubled the topping because my husband loves crumb topping and then I topped it with 10X sugar. Would definitely make again...very good."