Cinnamon-Walnut Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 478 calories, 23g fat (5g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Oct 24, 2011
Very Good. This was very easy to make, probably would taste good with soft butter spread on the side of a piece of this cake.
Aug 28, 2011
I made this cake and changed a couple of things. I used butter instead of shortening and added 1tsp of cinnamon & 1/2tsp extra vanilla to batter. Becauce my son doesn't like nuts I used old-fashioned rolled oats. I doubled the topping because my husband loves crumb topping and then I topped it with 10X sugar. Would definitely make again...very good.
Jan 13, 2010
this cake looks good so i will try to bake it, i am new to cooking so this will be new to me.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.