These cinnamon squares really hit the spot served hot from the oven. "Someone gave my mother the recipe a few years ago, and everyone raves about it," says Diane Marshall of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. "Kids love the cream cheese-filled snacks, especially when they're cup tin cookie-cutter shapes."
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 slices bread
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Flatten bread with a rolling pin. Spread cream cheese on one side of half of the slices; top with remaining bread. Cut each into four squares. Spritz both sides with butter-flavored spray.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; add bread squares and turn to coat both sides. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cinnamon Toasties in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p12