Cinnamon Swirl Loaves
When I was growing up, my mom made this bread quite often. The irresistible aroma of cinnamon will call your clan to the kitchen. —Lynn Callahan Rosemount, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Spread half of the batter in two greased and floured 8x4-in. loaf pans. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over batter. Spread with the remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 113 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 17, 2012
I gave this bread out for Christmas and everyone just loved it. My only alteration was the batter didn't go quite far enough, so I would make a double batch and make 3 loves instead of 4.