Cinnamon Swirl Kuchen
This is an old family recipe that we love to serve for breakfast or brunch. It's moist and keeps well, so you can make it a day ahead.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine milk and vanilla; set aside. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating just enough after each addition to keep batter smooth. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle 1-1/2 teaspoons into a greased 10-in. tube pan.
- Pour one-third of batter into pan. Sprinkle half of remaining cinnamon-sugar; top with one-third of batter. Repeat with remaining cinnamon-sugar and batter. Smooth top with spatula. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 268 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cinnamon Swirl Kuchen in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.