Cinnamon Swirl Kuchen
This is an old family recipe that we love to serve for breakfast or brunch. It's moist and keeps well, so you can make it a day ahead.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine milk and vanilla; set aside. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating just enough after each addition to keep batter smooth. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle 1-1/2 teaspoons into a greased 10-in. tube pan.
- Pour one-third of batter into pan. Sprinkle half of remaining cinnamon-sugar; top with one-third of batter. Repeat with remaining cinnamon-sugar and batter. Smooth top with spatula. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 268 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cinnamon Swirl Kuchen in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook