We always have leftover mashed sweet potatoes after our Thanksgiving feast. I take what’s left to make an indulgent filling for empanadas. Convenient crescent roll dough makes this recipe easy as pie. —Sarah Vasques, Milford, New Hampshire
Featured In: 41 Recipes to Make with Crescent Dough
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each ) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine sweet potato, cream cheese, brown sugar and orange peel. Unroll crescent dough and separate into four rectangles; press perforations to seal. Cut each rectangle into four triangles. Repeat with remaining dough. Place 1 teaspoon potato filling in center of each triangle. Fold dough over filling and pinch seams to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Brush pastries with butter; coat with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Yield: 32 appetizers.
Originally published as Cinnamon-Sugar Sweet Potato Pastries in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p119