- 1 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. In another bowl, whisk flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and remaining sugar. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in cinnamon-sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Reviews forCinnamon-Sugar Crackle Cookies
"snickerdoodles by any other name are still snickerdoodles! ;)we love them"
"These ARE Snickerdoodles. I just made them. You need to use half butter & half shortening. Yup!! they puff up & go flat."
"these are excellent cookies. Pretty much the same recipe as Snickerdoodles. Both are a no fail cookie that everyone loves. Thank you, Sarah, for sharing this one. It's a keeper."
"before attempting these can anyone tell me if they go flat like typical snickerdoodles do? 1c of shortening seems like a lot to me but I could be wrong. thanks"
"easy and yummy. A lot like snickerdoodles."
"Made them for a family dinner. Big hit. Love them."
"Plan to include these wonderful looking cookies for Christmas. I would offer *5* stars, however, no star rating appeared."
"These were a big hit at home and the office. I can't wait to make them for the holidays."
"My husband and I love these cookies! He can't stop eating them!"
"delicious and soft. they were easy to make and you can easily make 48, if not more. friends and family loved them, even the picky eaters!"