Cinnamon-Sugar Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups cold lard
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 9 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 9 medium)
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in lard until crumbly. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- For filling, in a large bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon and ginger. Add apples and toss to coat. Cover; let stand 1 hour to allow apples to release juices, stirring occasionally.
- Drain apples, reserving syrup. Place syrup and, if desired, bourbon in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and turns a medium amber color. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss drained apples with flour and salt. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 10-in. cast-iron or other deep ovenproof skillet. Trim pastry even with rim. Add apple mixture. Pour cooled syrup over top; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Brush milk over pastry; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 45-55 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 633 calories, 30g fat (12g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 4, 2019
The crust recipe is ridiculous. Use a regular pie crust recipe or buy one at Trader Joe’s. I’m a seasoned baker and I will tell you this recipe is much more difficult and time consuming than it needs to be.
Mar 27, 2019
1/10th of a pie as a serving. ROFL. What makes ir ala mode 1 tsp of ice cream?
Mar 27, 2019
Mar 18, 2019
Make your pie in a regular pie pan, preferably deep dish. Using a cast iron pan is just a trendy idea that will do more damage to your well seasoned cast surface.
Jan 28, 2019
Mary - it is a 10 inch skillet
Jan 27, 2019
9 inch skillet is used; it's written in the box next to the picture; I haven't made it yet, so not rated, but I've seen people ask this question.
Jan 20, 2019
What size skillet is used ? Need to purchase one Thank you
Aug 5, 2017
Great apple pie! Love using the cast iron skillet and I also agree with previous reviews on needing more flour with the apples and a bit less sugar. My family loved this pie so we'll be making it again.
Mar 10, 2017
Great apple pie and I love baking it in the skillet. Like others have mentioned about the sugar, I did cut back to 2 cups and upped the cinnamon to 1 Tablespoon. One tiny teaspoon wasn't going to cut it with my family. Next time I need to add more flour to the apples as it turned out fairly soupy.
Nov 20, 2016
This is the best apple pie I've ever eaten.It is very sweet so if you don't want it too sweet cut back on the sugar.I thought 9 cups of apples would be too much depending on how large you deep dish pie pan is. It took 8 grannysmith apples.Will make this for aThanksgiving dinner