Cinnamon Stir Sticks
Our home economists use cinnamon sticks as holders for cute little lollipops that can be enjoyed alone or stirred into cider.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon oil
- 30 cinnamon sticks (5 inches)
- Using a pencil, draw ten 2-in. ovals on three sheets of parchment paper. Place paper, pencil mark side down, on baking sheets; chill until ready to use.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 325° or mixture is a golden amber color.
- Remove from the heat; stir in oil (keep face away from mixture as oil is very strong). Immediately ladle mixture over ovals; press a cinnamon stick into each. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 stir stick: 60 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Cinnamon Stir Sticks in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.