"These cookies are such a hit with my family," tells Flo Burtnett of another sweet she's sharing (see her cake recipe on page 29). "A few always seem to disappear before I can finish them!" It's no wonder-Flo spreads jam on half of her spicy stars, then tops them with the rest of the batch of cookies, which have been glazed for an extra dose of goodness. "They're nice for any occasion," she says.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
Makes2-1/2 dozen sandwich cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Colored sugar, optional
- 2/3 cup raspberry, strawberry or apricot jam
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Combine egg and milk; add to flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly brown. Remove to a wire rack; cool completely.
- For glaze, combine sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Spread on half of the cookies; sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Let stand until set. Place 1 teaspoon of jam on the unglazed cookies and top each with a glazed cookie.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 273 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.