- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Colored sugar, optional
- 2/3 cup raspberry, strawberry or cherry jam
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Combine egg and milk; add to flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly brown. Remove to a wire rack; cool completely.
- For glaze, combine sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Spread on half of the cookies; sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Let stand until set. Place 1/ teaspoon of jam on the unglazed coolies and top each with a glazed cookie. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen sandwich cookies.
Reviews forCinnamon Stars
"These look very patriotic!! God Bless the U.S.A. with these special treats."