Cinnamon-Sour Cream Pinwheels
My grandmother would make these for holidays and special occasions. Since they are my favorite cookie, she brought me some at the hospital the day my son was born in lieu of flowers. It was very much appreciated and a tasty surprise.—Laura Berlinguette, Gatineau, Quebec
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and sour cream. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- In a small bowl, mix walnuts, sugar and cinnamon. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 12x9-in. rectangle. Brush with egg white; sprinkle each with half of the walnut mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 °. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as Pinwheel Sour Cream Cookies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.