Cinnamon Raisin Strata
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 8 slices day-old raisin bread
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional maple syrup
- 1. In a small bowl, combine butter and cinnamon; spread over one side of each slice of bread. Place four slices, buttered side up, in a greased 8-in. square baking dish (trim to fit if necessary). Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Repeat with remaining bread and brown sugar.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, syrup and vanilla; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with additional syrup.
1 piece: 500 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 354mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 7g fiber), 19g protein.
Jan 25, 2016
I really liked this but my kids weren't a fan. I did cut down on the amount of cinnamon. I used Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon bread. It was much puffier than the picture showed. Maybe I did something wrong? Overall, this is a good solid easy recipe for breakfast!
Dec 31, 1969
I serve this weekly on Friday at the BED & BREAKFAST where I work 36 weeks a year, and everyone ''RAVES'' over it and wants the Recipe Sous Chef Abby Normal
Dec 31, 1969
I use cinnamon raisin swirl bread cut into cubes (crusts removed). I use half and half instead of milk and pure maple syrup - not the thin, imitation stuff. Delicious!!!!!! Before I retired and we had "pig out days" at work, I was always asked to bring this.
Nov 12, 2012
Very good. But instead of baking it I put it in a skillet and cook it like French toast.
Apr 17, 2011
I have not made this strata but have made several others and found that you need to use either full fat milk or cream for them to turn out right. If you use 2% or skim they are soggy and don't set up right. I like the idea of putting a layer of cream cheese. This is not a breakfast for anyone counting calories for sure.
Jan 8, 2011
Alright this was excellent! But I made quite a few changes. I greased the pan, I only used 2 Tablespoons butter and 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon. Then I used regular bread and then just sprinkled raisins in between the slices of bread. The last change I made was I only used 2 Tablespoons brown sugar.
It is takes just like french toast, but much easier, because it is baked! I was very happy with the results!!
Dec 4, 2010
My family & friends love this recipe!
Aug 10, 2010
It smells delicious when baking. Next time I am going to single layer the ingredients and cut back on the cinnamon as the kids did not like the bottom layer. It was too soggy. They all liked the top crunchier layer. Maybe the bread we used was too thick and they puffed up. It was really pretty when it came out of the oven.
Dec 26, 2009
I made this x-mas morning for my family. My kids did not like it. I would recommend using one less egg and one half cup less milk. The bottom layer was soggy and it tasted "eggy". Definitely a disappointment becuase it sounded and looked fantastic.
Dec 25, 2009
I'll try this again, but will cut way back on the cinnamon next time I make it.