Cinnamon Raisin Bars
Although these bars keep well, they don't last long with my husband around. As soon as the house fills with their wonderful aroma, he comes running!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- RAISIN FILLING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in water. Combine the flour, oats, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and beat until crumbly. Firmly press half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set the remaining oat mixture aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth; stir in raisins. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Cool to room temperature; spread over crust.
- Top with reserved oat mixture; gently press down. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cinnamon; stir in enough milk to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bars. Cut and store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 121 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Cinnamon Raisin Bars in Best of Country Cookies