VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- RAISIN FILLING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture with water. Beat until crumbly. Firmly press half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set the remaining oat mixture aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth; stir in raisins. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Cool to room temperature; spread over crust. Top with reserved oat mixture and pat down. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners; sugar and cinnamon; stir in enough milk to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bars. Cut and store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Cinnamon Raisin Bars in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p76