Cinnamon-Pecan Swirl Bread
This wholesome, old-fashioned loaf is a staple in our house. The recipe makes two loaves, and I like to freeze one for later.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 2-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg, room temperature
- CINNAMON NUT FILLING:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 2 cups bread flour, flax, gluten, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, oil, honey and lemon juice to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 14x8-in rectangle. Sprinkle half of the filling over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Pinch to seal. Place each loaf seam-side down in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 34-38 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 188 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cinnamon Swirl Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.