- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, salt and sugar. In a small saucepan, heat water and 1/2 cup butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into six portions. Roll out each portion into a 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Combine pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Place three ropes seam side down on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining ropes. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over loaves. Serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forCinnamon-Pecan Coffee Cakes
"Absolutely wonderful! I halved the ingredients (to make just one coffee-cake) and put the braid into a greased loaf pan (9"x5"). I covered it and let it rest overnight in the fridge, then let it come to room temperature and baked for the time specified. I did have a little hard time removing the loaf from a tin, but nothing too drastic ;-) (Next time I'll probably grease and flour the pan). After removing the loaf onto the wire rack, I drizzled a nice simple cream cheese glaze over it. Delicious!"
"I have a question though... does this make two coffee cakes? Hmmm... really apprechiate a reply ladies <3"
"This recipe was delicious, well worth the time,I found half the glaze was more than enough though."
"Very good recipe! I really enjoyed it. The only thing is that i would add a little bit more of the brown sugar/cinnamon and pecan filling to taste it more! It's still great though!"
"Came out perfect!"