Cinnamon-Maple Coffee Cakes
I like to contribute these to our church bake sales. Wrapped in bright cellophane, the delectable cakes never fail to impress.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes6 coffee cakes (8 servings each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 10 to 10-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, eggs, sugar, salt and 9 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, combine the sugars, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add corn syrup and maple flavoring. Stir in nuts.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into six portions. Roll one portion into a 14x8-in. rectangle. Spread 1/2 cup filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- Cut roll in half lengthwise. Place halves, cut side up, side by side; braid. Shape into a ring in a greased 9-in. round baking pan; pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm coffee cakes. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 253 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Maple Twist Coffee Cakes in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.