Cinnamon Hot Cross Buns
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, eggs, salt, cinnamon, allspice and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in currants and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg white. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, combine the sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve piping consistency. Pipe a cross on top of each bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 187 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 8, 2012
I substituted 1 teaspoon ground cardamom for the cinnamon and allspice to give it a scandinavian flavor. I also used bread flour instead of all-purpose flour for a chewy, yet light texture. They tasted so good I was tempted to skip the crosses and serve them plain, but I had made them for Easter, so I crossed them.
Mar 1, 2012
I made these with raisins because that is what I had on hand. It was my first attempt at hot cross buns and they got rave reviews!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.