Our Christmas dinner wouldn't be complete without a festive finale. I've served this satisfying pie for so many years that it's become a holiday tradition.
Recommended: 25 Light Chocolate Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and vinegar on medium speed until foamy. Combine sugar and cinnamon; gradually beat into egg whites, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread into the pastry shell. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool. For filling, whisk egg yolks and water in a saucepan. Add chocolate chips; cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture is thickened (do not boil). Cool. Spread 3 tablespoons over meringue; set remainder aside. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream, sugar and cinnamon until stiff peaks form. Spread half over the chocolate layer. Fold reserved chocolate mixture into remaining whipped cream; spread over top. Chill for 6 hours or overnight. Refrigerate any left overs. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Cinnamon Chocolate Angel Pie in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p42