Cinnamon Bagels with Crunchy Topping
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 3 tablespoons brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through each center to form a 1-1/2-in. hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring. Place on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water and remaining brown sugar; bring to a boil. Drop bagels, two at a time, into boiling water. Cook for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients; sprinkle over bagels. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 bagel: 164 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 6, 2018
I work with yeast a lot. However, I've never attempted bagels. This recipe was so easy and tastes great. I did have a mishap with the topping- I coated the whole bagel in it- which burned the bottoms just a tad. I wonder what they would taste like without the topping. I will try that next time. Great recipe regardless.
Dec 31, 2017
First time ever making bagels. These turned out really well and is an easy recipe to follow. I read after that if you boil 2 minutes you get a chewier bagel. I did it at 45 seconds per the recipe- this does yield some chew with a soft interior. Next time will boil a bit longer to see if I might like it even more. The brown sugar in the recipe is divided- didn't realize it until it was too late. Bagels still delish with all the brown sugar in the dough and none in the water (oops).
Dec 17, 2017
The bagels turned out pretty good for my first time . The only reason I say, "pretty good", is because they did not turn out very pretty. That was DUE to it being my first time. I did have to add extra flour and note to self, " do not flatten the dough to much when shaping. Great taste.
Sep 16, 2015
This was my first time attempting bagels (and I don't even bake with yeast very often) and they were really sticky and didn't really rise for me or get "golden brown" when I baked them. They weren't very pretty, but the taste was fantastic. I did add more flour than what the recipe called for due to how sticky it was. I was afraid to add too much flour, but I believe I should have added more! I will keep this recipe, do a little more research and practice on making bagels......and try it again some time!
Oct 4, 2014
These are fantastic! They took a little time to make but are definitely worth it.They are now my new favorite homemade bagel recipe and I will definitely be making them again!
Jan 27, 2014
My first attempt at bagels, and they turned out pretty good! I had to add quite a bit more flour than this recipe called for, and the dough was still very sticky. But all in all - they were very tasty and I will make them again.
Sep 3, 2013
These were very good, however I tried to save some time by making the dough in my bread machine. I used 3 cups of flour but the dough could practically be poured out of the bowl. I had to add at least another cup of flour to make it manageable...not exactly what I bargained for. I'm not sure I'll try again, but I'll definitely nix the bread maker!
Feb 20, 2013
Very easy to make. I used to purchase mini cinnamon bagels from Sam's Club and they haven't had them in a while. I needed a fix, but didn't want to pay Panera for my cinnamon crunch bagel.very tasty!
Nov 12, 2012
A little time consuming and it does use a lot of dishes, but if you have the time they are well worth it. They are delicious! :)
Oct 4, 2012
The first bite that my husband took was "Wow these are great". Our favorite bagel is the Cinnamon Crunch from Panera, I will be making these from now on. Easy to make, will try freezing some when I make the next batch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.