Cinnamon Apple Syrup
Cinnamon and vanilla take center stage in this no-fuss syrup from Alberta McKay. "Most people rave about it," shares the Barlesvile, Oklahoma cook. "Try it warm over pancakes or even crepes."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup thawed unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Gradually stir in water and apple juice concentrate until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 35 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Spicy Apple Syrup in Light & Tasty August/September 2005