VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups shortening
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons aniseed
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, orange juice and aniseed. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Originally published as Cinnamon Anise Cookies in Taste of Home June/July 2001, p63