Cinnamon Anise Cookies
"These Southwestern cookies have a hint of anise and cinnamon-sugar," says Viola Ward of Fruita, Colorado.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 7 dozen
- 2 cups shortening
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons aniseed
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, orange juice and aniseed. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 176 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.