Cinnamon Almond Brittle Recipe
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 200°. Grease two baking sheets with 1 teaspoon butter; place in oven to warm.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Stir in almonds, cinnamon, salt and remaining butter; cook until thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), stirring frequently and brushing sides of pan as needed.
- 3. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda and vanilla. Immediately pour onto prepared pans, spreading to 1/4-in. thickness. Cool completely.
- 4. Break brittle into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
1 ounce: 142 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Cinnamon Almond Brittle
"The cinnamon is a great addition to this brittle. I found three cups of almonds was too much. There wasn't enough brittle to go around the nuts. Tried again with 2 cups of almonds and it was perfect. I made this for a bazaar for two years now and I've gotten great reviews."