When I have leftover steak, it’s time to make tacos. Set out bowls of toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, avocado and salsa. That’s a fiesta. —Patti Rose, Tinley Park, Illinois
Recommended: 21 Recipes to Make for Taco Tuesday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: salsa, cilantro, shredded lettuce and sour cream
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add steak; cook 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add jalapeno and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in salsa, cilantro, lime juice and pepper sauce; heat through.
- Thinly slice steak across the grain; stir into onion mixture. Serve in tortillas; top as desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cilantro Beef Tacos in Simple & Delicious April/May 2016