Cider Turkey Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
Makes15 servings (3-3/4 quarts)
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12-pound turkey)
- 3-1/2 quarts water
- 4 cups apple cider or juice
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large apple, cut into wedges
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey breast
- 2 cups cooked long grain and wild rice
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place the first nine ingredients in a stockpot. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Discard the carcass. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined colander; discard vegetables and herbs. If using immediately, skim fat. Or cool, then refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove fat from surface before using. Broth may be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for 4-6 months.
- Place the soup ingredients in a stockpot; add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Freeze option: Cool soup and transfer to freezer containers. Freeze up to 3 months. To use, thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 124 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 25, 2017
This soup was great. The broth had a great depth of flavor. I did add three chicken bouillon cubes, plus some Mrs. Dash and a little more salt than the recipe calls for, but my turkey had very little salt in it to begin with. Overall a wonderful recipe and I will make it again.
Nov 2, 2015
This soup is outstanding! I cut the recipe in half for the two of us, and used the carcass from a 6-pound chicken. The broth was easy to make and the soup was delicious. I will definitely be making this again!
Nov 8, 2013
Wow! What a surprise. This is very tasty... It's rare I make something like soup and don't change a thing... but this recipe didn't need any changes! Super yummy. I made Apple Cider Biscuits to accompany this for dunking in the yummy broth.
May 19, 2013
Wonderful, ful of flavor and filling as well it's going to be a staple.