Cider-Roasted Chicken Recipe
I'VE never shared this recipe before, even with members of my own family. I use it only for special occasions such as Christmas. I found the recipe in the first real good cookbook I owned, and my six children love it. I've also been inspired to enter cooking contests and have won several times. -Mary Dunphy, Stephenville, Newfoundland
- 1 whole roasting chicken (5 to 7 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2-1/2 cups apple cider
- 6 to 8 small unpeeled red potatoes, quartered
- 6 to 8 small onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 to 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 6 to 8 bacon strips
- 2 to 4 small tomatoes, quartered
- 1. Place chicken in a roasting pan; dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake for 2 hours. Pour cider over chicken. Add potatoes, onions and peppers to the pan; place bacon over chicken breast. Bake 1 hour longer, basting often. Add tomatoes to the pan. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Cover and let stand 10 minutes before carving. Thicken the pan juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 724 calories, 44g fat (16g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 50g protein.
Reviews for Cider-Roasted Chicken
Reviewed Nov. 11, 2017
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC