Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 3-3/4 hours + standing
- 1 whole roasting chicken (5 to 7 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2-1/2 cups apple cider
- 6 to 8 small unpeeled red potatoes, quartered
- 6 to 8 small onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 to 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 6 to 8 bacon strips
- 2 to 4 small tomatoes, quartered
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan; dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake for 2 hours.
- Pour cider over chicken. Add the potatoes, onions and peppers to the pan; place bacon over chicken breast. Bake 1 hour longer, basting often.
- Add tomatoes to the pan. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180°. Cover and let stand 10 minutes before carving. Thicken the pan juices for gravy if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 724 calories, 44g fat (16g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 50g protein.
Nov 11, 2017
This is absolutely awesome- the chicken is so moist and the veggies taste great!! I follow the recipe exactly, using unpasteurized apple cider and its great! This is our Fall Celebration Dinner and everyone always looks forward to it each year. Its time consuming, but worth the wait!!