- 1/2 bone-in fully cooked ham (5 to 7 pounds)
- 2 quarts apple cider or apple juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Whole cloves
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- Place ham in a Dutch oven or large kettle. Add cider, peppercorns and bay leaf. Add enough water just to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Drain, reserving 3 cups cooking liquid; discard peppercorns and bay leaf. Remove skin from ham if desired; score the surface with shallow cuts, making diamond shapes. Insert whole cloves in the center of each diamond. Combine applesauce, horseradish and mustard; rub over ham.
- Place ham on a rack in shallow roasting pan; pour reserved liquid into pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 140°. Remove from the oven; cover with foil and let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews forCider-Baked Country Ham
"Made this recipe for our family Christmas and everyone asked for the recipe. It's a keeper! Thankyou!"