Cider-Baked Country Ham
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1/2 bone-in fully cooked ham (5 to 7 pounds)
- 2 quarts apple cider or apple juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Whole cloves
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- Place ham in a Dutch oven or large kettle. Add cider, peppercorns and bay leaf. Add enough water just to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Drain, reserving 3 cups cooking liquid; discard peppercorns and bay leaf. Remove skin from ham if desired; score the surface with shallow cuts, making diamond shapes. Insert whole cloves in the center of each diamond. Combine applesauce, horseradish and mustard; rub over ham.
- Place ham on a rack in shallow roasting pan; pour reserved liquid into pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 140°. Remove from the oven; cover with foil and let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 278 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 1537mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 29, 2018
Best ham recipe out there! I made it last year at Thanksgiving and it was such a family favorite I had to make it for Christmas and I'm now making it for the third time for Easter. It's a little tough to find on the internet but well worth the search. Thanks so much for posting it
Sep 2, 2011
Made this recipe for our family Christmas and everyone asked for the recipe. It's a keeper! Thankyou!