Chunky Veggie Slaw
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes14 servings (1 cup each)
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 12 fresh sugar snap peas, halved
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar and salt. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Top with walnuts and green onions. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 125 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 24, 2018
Wonderful slaw with perfect amount of crunch. I added mandarin oranges and green onions but it would have been just as good without it. The cucumbers really made it a favorite recipe for me. I did not use buttermilk, I just added a little olive oil to keep it loose.
Dec 28, 2017
Haven't made this yet but I really do not care for buttermilk. Any suggestions?
Sep 9, 2015
Made this recipe for a gathering this weekend. Will make again, its delicious!! The longer it sets the better it gets.
May 31, 2014
Used small red and yellow peppers rather than green pepper. Took this slaw to outdoor barbecue picnic- another season to repeat 'again and again'!! Thanks!
Dec 5, 2013
Will never make cole slaw any other way. This is delicious.
May 29, 2013
This is the only slaw, of any kind, my husband will eat. We love the crunch and the dressing isn't overbearing. Will be including this side to our holiday meals!