"We enjoy this colorful chowder year-round," writes Diane Molberg of Emerald Park, Saskatchewan. The light but flavorful soup is chock-full of vegetables and pleasantly seasoned with thyme.
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes to Make This Winter
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender. Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, zucchini, broth, parsley and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in peas and corn.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, milk, salt if desired and pepper until smooth; gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Chunky Veggie Chowder in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p49