- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed (about 1 pound)
- 3 medium carrots, cubed
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh corn or frozen corn
- 1-3/4 cups frozen cut green beans
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat in oil until no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, water and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add corn and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 9 servings (about 3-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forChunky Veggie Beef Soup
"We Love this soup! I did not use Nutmeg or celery, because I didn't have any. I did add fresh broccoli with the carrots and potatoes, however, I also added another 2 cups of beef broth and about a cup or so of V8 juice and a can of diced tomatoes plus a little more Oregano and Garlic.. We dont care for corn so I added a can of whole green beans and noodles. I changed it up a little bit but the core of the taste was from this recipe. Try it and enjoy!!"
"I suspect for a low calorie soup this is pretty good. I thought it was good but it will not be on my make again list. Guess I wanted it to be a little more hardy feeling. Don't let my review stop you from trying it out. It is good. It is low calorie as it is i n the Taste of Home Diet Comfort Foods book. The meat was very tender and it smells nice. Maybe an onion would have kicked up the flavor or something. I am half wondering about thickening the liquid with some cornstarch too."
"This is a keeper served in bowls over rice.My 92 yr old mom loved it!"
"My whole family loved this soup! My son won't touch vegetables, including the ones I put in it, but he ate two bowls tonight and is a very happy boy. Thank you!"
"Great tasting soup!!"
"absolutely worth the time in the kitchen. makes enough for next days lunch. Very satisfying. thanks for sharing."
"We really like this hearty soup packed with vegetables. The flavors are great!"