Chunky Steak Chili Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean chuck or round steak, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (28 ounces) low-sodium tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, cook meat in oil until lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients except kidney beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking. If desired, serve in "bread bowls" by hollowing out rolls and spooning chili into center. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 253 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Chunky Steak Chili
"Could I do this in a slow cooker? Would I have to cut back on some of the liquids?"