I love to cook and bake, especially when our children and grandchildren are here. After spending time outdoors, this chili warms up the coldest winter evening!
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds lean chuck or round steak, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (28 ounces) low-sodium tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large heavy saucepan, cook meat in oil until lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients except kidney beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking. If desired, serve in "bread bowls" by hollowing out rolls and spooning chili into center. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chunky Chili in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p79