- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pints half-and-half cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed New England clam chowder, undiluted
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) imitation crabmeat, flaked
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add cream and canned chowder; bring to a boil. Stir in potatoes, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in crab and heat through. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forChunky Seafood Chowder
"Absolutely love this recipe. I also add....a small piece of haddock cut up and shrimp. If the grocery store has pre-cooked lobsters, I'll pick one up and throw that into as well. I use Bar Harbor brand New England Style condensed Clam Chowder (being from New England this was a given). This chowder is so thick and tasty. My boyfriend absolutely loves it :)"
"Works for me!Fast and easy,worthy tips below with a few nice add ons!Thank you!"
"I made this it was very good and I added Old Bay added a little flavor"
"Great, great, great, multiple-thumbs-up recipe, but I did add a couple ingredients: equal amts. of 1/4-1/2 tsp. sage and thyme, 1/2-1 C. crumbled bacon, and 1/4 C. each diced carrots and celery to the butter/onion mix. Also, mash half of the potatoes, and be sure to use a condensed soup such as Campbell's. A sure hit for those seafood chowder fans!"
"I've prepared this chowder many time over the years and have loved it! One time, I had the idea to also add a drained small can of baby shrimp and a drained can of baby clams (I supposed you could used minced, however) just to "beef" up the seafood aspect of it. With a side salad and some warmed crusty bread it truly is a keeper!"
"easy and delicious. I used a small package of frozen shrimp instead of the crab. My picky 8 year old ate two bowls. Yum!"
"This is one of my all time favorite recipes! It's creamy and very easy to make!"
"I used to make this all the time, it's such a comfort food. So glad I recently re-discovered this creamy, filling chowder!"