Total TimePrep: 45 min. Process: 15 min.
- 5 pounds tomatoes
- 5 cups chopped onions (about 3 large)
- 5 cups chopped green peppers (about 4 large)
- 2-1/2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 2 large)
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds with water; bring to a boil. Score an “X” on the bottom of each tomato. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove tomatoes and immediately plunge in ice water. Discard peel; chop tomatoes.
- In a stockpot, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until desired thickness.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 18 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 14, 2011
First time making salsa, little scared but this was so easy and my family love's it. They said it was a keeper!
Sep 17, 2011
I did add a half cup cilantro and another hot pepper.
Sep 17, 2011
This was vantastic! I did add a half cup chopped cilanto and another hot pepper.
Aug 25, 2011
spicy and really tasty