Peanut butter is a favorite of ours, and it brings a fun element to these cupcakes. They're good with or without garnishes. —Holly Jones, Kennesaw, Georgia
Recommended: 60 Fall Bakes Cozier Than a Chunky Sweater
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 5 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Chopped salted peanuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Beat first five ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into banana mixture. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Fill prepared cups three-fourths full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese, peanut butter and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread over cupcakes. If desired, sprinkle with peanuts. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chunky Monkey Cupcakes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p219