Chunky Fish Chowder
Our kids refused to try this soup when I first served it, but then they saw how much their father and I were enjoying it! I serve it with a salad and bread for a complete meal.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Dash pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound cod, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- GARLIC BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Fish-shaped crackers, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion and garlic in drippings until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, water, cumin, salt, turmeric and pepper; bring to a boil. add potatoes; simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add the fish, corn and vinegar; cook for 10 minutes or until fish is flakes easily with a fork. Stir in bacon.
- For garlic butter, beat the butter, parsley, lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl until fluffy. Top each serving of soup with a dollop of garlic butter; garnish with crackers if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 244 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 428mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Chunky Fish Chowder in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.