Chunky Cucumber Salsa
Although this may sound like an "interesting" grouping of flavors, it has never let me down. Recipe requests are guaranteed as people try to guess the secret ingredient...it's mango.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium mango, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 57 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Chunky Cucumber Salsa in Light & Tasty February/March 2005