Chunky Cranberry Salad
I found this recipe while taking a cooking class. Full of mixed fruit, celery and nuts, it's a lively alternative to jellied cranberry sauce. When cranberries are in season, I buy extra and freeze them so I can make this salad year-round.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3-1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup green grapes, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries and pineapple juice. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the berry mixture, sugar and softened gelatin. Chill until partially set.
- Fold in the pineapple, pecans, grapes, celery and orange zest. Pour into individual serving dishes. Chill until firm.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 288 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Orange Salad in Country Woman May/June 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.