I love to cook and bake, especially for the holidays when our children and grandchildren are here! For years, I helped my husband farm while holding down a job in town. Then he became an insurance agent and I helped him again. We still have the farm, but now I have more time to do other things I enjoy.
Recommended: 38 Ultimate Chili Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds lean chuck or round steak, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (28 ounces) low-sodium tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Crusty round French rolls, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, cook meat in oil until lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients except kidney beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking. If desired, serve in "bread bowls" by hollowing out rolls and spooning chili into center. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chunky Chili in Country Extra January 1993, p47