Chunky Chicken Veggie Soup
Catering to a Christmas crowd or a huddle of hungry Super Bowl fans? Try this hot savory soup loaded with veggies, chicken and seasonings. Ladle it up with warm bread for a hearty stick-to-your-ribs meal in a bowl. -Sundra Hauck Bogalusa, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes20 servings. (6-1/2 quarts)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large stockpot, bring the broth, carrots and onions to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add zucchini and garlic; simmer 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat through.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 130 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 825mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Chunky Chicken Veggie Soup in Taste of Home December/January 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.