Chunky Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add ham.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted; add to the soup.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 267 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 936mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Dec 21, 2017
Made this today, 12-20-17 and it is delicious.
Dec 24, 2012
This soup was great! I omitted the salt and cooked the vegetables in seasoned chicken broth. I also increased the amount of broth by maybe 1/2 cup and increased the vegetables because I like my soups chock full of goodies. I also used sharp cheddar for the cheese, and was pleased to find that the soup had a smooth texture, not a grainy one.
Oct 13, 2012
Great fall recipe. Definately a keeper. The only thing I changed was using Velveeta.
Mar 26, 2011
I also enjoyed this recipe. I made in a crock pot, and used an immersion blender to disguise the veggies for my veggie haters. They LOVED it!
Dec 29, 2010
Instead of celery, I used red and green pepper.
Oct 29, 2010
wow this was very tasteful. I used monteray jack cheese and it was good
Sep 2, 2010
used chicken broth instead of water. very good
Feb 4, 2010
This was the most yummy soup ever. So creamy!
Dec 22, 2009
Very thick and filling. Easy and fast to make. I used 1% milk and reduced fat cheddar. Great on a cold winter night!
Oct 29, 2009
This is one of the thickest soups I've ever made. It was a perfect comfort food and very filling. If you have more than a few people to feed you may want to double this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.