Chunky Beef Stew
I'm fortunate to have a husband who loves to cook; He's always digging through cookbooks in search of new recipes. We enjoy grocery shopping and coming home to spend time together in the kitchen. - Miriam Wages, Arnoldsville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 2 quarts water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean), cooked and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) peas, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the beef, corn, tomatoes, peas, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add macaroni; simmer 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Out of prepared mustard? Make your own! For every tablespoon of prepared mustard, combine 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard and 2 teaspoons vinegar.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 101 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 525mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chunky Beef Stew in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.