Chunky Beef Chili
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each dried thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each pepper, white pepper and cayenne pepper
- 3 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a large plastic bag, combine the flour, thyme and rosemary; add beef cubes, a few at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, cook beef cubes and ground beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Add the remaining ingredients except cheese. Cover and simmer for 5 hours. Garnish with cheese if desired.
1 cup: 264 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 22g protein.
Jan 5, 2020I wish someone would explain to me how you can have a chili recipe which doesn't actually have chili powder. This was one of the worst chili recipes we have ever made. Further, this recipe doesn't call for any salt. Very strange.
Dec 20, 2017
Chili has zero beens!!! Don't you have any true chili recipes that are truly Texas chili..... zero beens?
Oct 7, 2014
good but I found almost too spicey
Jan 16, 2009
This chili recipe is fantastic. I think the addition of the chili beans in zesty sauce and the crumbled ground beef puts it over the top. You can't even identify the grnd beef it is just there. The stew meat is so moist and tender it melts in you mouth. Has a nice amount of 'heat'.