Chunky Avocado Salad
In Phoenix, Arizona, Jamie Jeffers combines tomatoes, onion and jalapeno with cilantro and avocado for a chunky salsa that is great with crunchy tortilla chips. TIP: "Sometimes I use a few fresh green chilies instead of the jalapeno pepper, and scoop the mixture over a green salad for a healthy and zesty dressing," Jamie says.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makesabout 2-1/2 cups
- 3/4 pound plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- Tortilla chips
- In a food processor, combine the first six ingredients. Cover and pulse until coarsely chopped (do not overprocess); drain liquid. Transfer to a bowl; stir in avocado. Serve with chips. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Originally published as Avacado Salsa in Quick Cooking July/August 2005
Feb 4, 2013
Another great avocado recipe. Loved thetangy taste.
Jun 18, 2011
We tried this both with and without the avocado. Both were good, but the avocado added a really nice flavor! Thanks!!
Jun 13, 2011
This is a family favorite
Jun 6, 2009